YWCA Toronto has just announced its plans to build 300 units of affordable housing for women and women-led families.
The center will feature:
- 150 affordable apartments for single women and women-led families
- 100 supportive & affordable apartments for women living with mental health
- issues and substance misuse, and their children
- 50 affordable apartments for individuals and families of Aboriginal ancestry,
- including 10 units for Aboriginal women fleeing violence
- 15% of the 300 apartments (45 apartments) will be for women aged 50+
Not only will this be a safe, positive space for women, the YWCA has planned the center to be environmentally sustainable as well.
The center will be located in the 'hospital district' between Gerrard and Dundas, east of University. Coming in 2011.
The full brochure can be read here.